How to Adopt
Thank you so much for your interest in adopting one of our dogs.
To help ensure that we place our dogs in loving, responsible, and committed homes, we have a structured application and interview process.
At this time, all adoptions are still conducted by appointment only.
Adopting a puppy mill survivor can be a challenging yet exceptionally rewarding experience.
After your application is received, you will receive a response from an Adoption Coordinator. This should occur within 48-72 hours.
The dogs we rescue often come to us with significant behavior and medical care needed. We provide one-on-one behavioral support and extensive medical care often needed for long-time breeding dogs. These include but are not limited to; a wide range of diagnostics, dental work, complex spay surgeries, mammary gland tumor removal, and of course vaccines and other preventive care. Our adoption fees and donations are our only funding for these care services and we very much appreciate your support.
Please check your spam folder often as we find these emails are redirected.
Once your application has been approved and you’ve been instructed to do so by an adoption counselor, you may return here to pay your adoption fee conveniently online.
Requirements for Adopting
- Due to the fearfulness of many of our dogs, we often require adopters to have securely fenced yards. However, some of our dogs may be considered for homes with smaller enclosures (i.e. secure patios) and we do occasionally adopt to apartment-style homes or homes without fenced yards.
- Our dogs will make amazing personal companions and should not be adopted for the sole purpose of being a service, working, or guard dog.
- Should it be necessary to find another home for the dog, we do require that adopters contact our Shelter. We may require the dog be returned to us and that should be a consideration for long-distance adopters.
- Other pets in the home must be spayed or neutered.
- Our adoption fees range from $250 – $400. Every pet has been microchipped, spayed or neutered and often has received other immediate medical care when needed. Your adoption fee helps to cover a portion of these costs.
- We do adopt dogs to out-of-state residents and each application is handled individually. After the application, interview, and approval, adopters must travel to our Shelter in Peyton, Colorado to finalize the adoption.
- National Mill Dog Rescue will not ship dogs under any circumstances.
- National Mill Dog Rescue reserves the right to refuse any adoption. Please keep in mind that every decision we make is in the best interest and safety of our dogs and the families we place them with.
Feel free to call or email our customer service line to inquire about a particular dog or our process! firstname.lastname@example.org 719-683-3334
Sign Up For Our Newsletter
Get news from National Mill Dog Rescue in your inbox.